1/12/10

Vampire Weekend - 'Contra' Review




Vampire Weekend is a kick ass band. They cause controversy like The Beatles did in 1964. There are so many haters! I just don't get it. They are too good to hate, and I think that's why people hate them. It's just coool, kind of like hating DMB(I'm callin you out raycheeface). The band is everywhere. Every blog, every TV show, every SNL ep, commercial, you name it, and it all comes down to today. Contra was leaked by the band a week ago (of course you know this because you are a loyal reader) but officially hit stores today. Soooooooooooo here is my review.

Sophomore albums are tough. Your band releases a kickass self-titled and everyone loves it. 11 tracks of instantly accessible indie-pop music and after the first guitar riff I just knew I would love the entire album. Now, coming up on two years later, they have to go back into the studio and try to recreate that initial energy. But at the same time you don't want to make the exact same record. They sport some of the same sounds this record (tribal percussion, playful synths, and the subtle voice of Ezra Koenig) but certainly do change things up for their second album.

The opening track 'Horchata' could easily be on the self-titled. It's a whirlwind of a song with absurd rhyming and no guitar. The lead single 'Cousins' is easily the most punk song they have ever done, and its badass. The chorus for single 'White Sky' doesn't even have lyrics! Then there's my favorite track 'Diplomats Son'. It features an M.I.A. sample and is currently very stuck in my head. 'California English' features the weirdest auto-tune I think I've ever heard, and 'Taxi Cab', 'Run', 'Giving Up The Gun' are also worthy of making this record.

To me it sounds more like side project Discovery then the self titled honestly. It shows a band that knows what it's doing. Vampire Weekend took risks on this album yet stuck to a formula that made them popular. It may not be instantly as catchy as their first album, but 'Contra' shows a maturing band that doesn't seem to be fading from the spotlight anytime soon. I give 'Contra' 8/10

Key Tracks: if you click on the little arrow in the box, freeee download

Vampire Weekend - Diplomat's Son by berman1125

Vampire Weekend - Horchata by berman1125

No comments:

Post a Comment