4/9/10

Best Coast Takes Over Wesleyan


I received word that Best Coast would be stopping by Wesleyan for a Thursday night gig (thanks pat). No one could go with me, so I decided to introduce Pete into the indie scene. Showed up around 11 and Wesleyans' own Apache Kid was rocking out to end their set. They were tight. Combined with guitars and synths, their lead singer was shouting and jumping around to moshing hipsters. This gave me ample time to say hi to Bethany Bob and Ali, also to grab the last remaining 7''.

Best Coast are chill people. Beth swayed back and fourth to each tune about heartache and never being accepted. Other songs, about chillin and smoking weed. Basically my life wrapped up in a neat little box. My favorite line of the night: 'I hate sleeping alooooone' off their fifth 7'' single. 'When I'm With You'. The live music had a lot less reverb then the recorded material giving Beth a more natural, sweet sounding voice. Her favorites to listen to include The Beach Boys and The Everly Brothers, which you can hear influencing Best Coast's 50's beachy vibe. They put their guitars down for one second before deciding to play a one song encore for the demanding students. After, I chatted with the group and got my vinyl signed. Beth and Ali decided to step outside with us for a smoke...we talked about our cats and what makes a good bowl. Would love to chill with you guys again when you come through CT.

It was too dark at Eclectic to take pics, and I'm sure there was no video taken. These three videos are from the night before at Mercury Lounge in NY.
I also left my ID at Eclectic, so if anyone reads this and can help me out in finding that...pleaseeee email me, berman1125@hotmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment