3/30/10

Bostoned Pt.1 Recap - PPalm, Toro Y Nah, Beach House

Boston and I have a love/hate relationship...I hate the red sox and everything that has to do with Boston sports, also, the people of Boston are for the most part d-bags. However I do love the look and feel of the city. It's very beautiful, vintage, classy, and represenitive of our roots as a country. The music scene in Boston is second to none in New England....so naturally I am drawn to that too. I headed up Friday night with some friends for fun in the city.

Saturday was the Toro Y Moi and Ruby Suns show at The Middle East Upstairs. We found out via twitter that Toro Y Moi's stuff had been stolen at the show in Brooklyn and would have to miss the show...we were crushed. 'Causers of This' is my favorite album of the year and to be able to meet Chaz would have been perfect! It's okay he will be back in May, I will not be missing it! We showed up for the opener PPalm, local Boston electronica man. He is one of the Macbook artists that sing over bass heavy dance beats that they created. He has the Washed Out vibe going for him, and the crowd was feeling it. We stepped out for a smoke and then walked into a nightmare. Whatever the hell was playing on stage was atrocious. Some acoustic folk girl that was way out of tune on guitar and even worse with her voice. This plus the fact we couldn't see Toro had us so in the dumps...we left the show before Ruby Suns came on. I'm kind of ashamed of myself but I was pissed. We headed back to CT Sunday morning, I had to work.

I get home after two sleepless nights in Boston and take a long hot shower. Then got on twitter. Beach House has 5 guest passes for their show in Boston. First five to respond got free passes, I was the fifth response. The only way to salvage the weekend was to drive straight back to Boston to see Beach House for free. My friends already had tickets...boys night out! I called out of work and headed back to the bean. Beach House was amazing...(if you don't believe we were there, check the pics.. we are in a few of them)...We found our way to the front row all the way to stage right, it was the perfect spot to see Victoria Legrand rock out on her keyboard. The band didn't even sound real, thats how good they sounded live. Absolutely flawless, identical to the records but played with more passion. Victoria's hair was all over the place as she kicked the ground to the drum beat of every song. They played everything you wanted them to and was even able to snag the setlist. I then drove back home to CT, for the second time that day.

All in all the weekend was a success. Toro Y Moi will be back in May, and I got to see Beach House thanks to Beach House...plus got the setlist! Boston I'l be back to see your fine ass on Thursday...Dum Dum Girls and Girls @ The Paradise...see ya then!

Thanks to http://slyke25.tumblr.com/ for the pics and vid...get job!










2 comments: