7/20/10

DOM Live @ Iron Horse

This past Thursday I had the privilege of seeing DOM open for Suckers at The Iron Horse in Northampton Mass. My friends and I were excited for a good dance party...but the hipsters of Northampton would not allow it. There were only about 30 people inside around 10:30 when DOM was using up their drink tickets in the back bar. They took stage around 10:45. 'Lots of room up front here on the dance floor' Dom said. The only people standing near the front of the stage seemed like hometown friends. I wanted to stand, but didn't want to piss off everyone that was sitting...fuck 'em, we stood right in front. DOM is tight live, much more so then I thought they would be. They reminded me of The Strokes to be honest. They were not flashy at all, which is the polar opposite of the music they make. They stood in place, jammed hard and played all their hits off the 'Sun Bronded Greek Gods' EP, plus a rockin surf instrumental...then a Pete&Pete cover to end the set. I was very impressed. They also use a video projector for some really trippy added effects to their live show.

This EP is a vinyl I have been wanted to get my hands on for a while now. DOM didn't have a merch table but I did catch them outside having a cig, and they had some in their van. We chatted around the van for a bit about the show and lack of audience participation, then decided a blunt was in order. We burned one down, oddly right in front of the Northampton Police Dept. The entire band is chill, it seemed like they would have been down to hang out all night if we didn't have to get back to CT. I have read some mixed reviews about DOM and how they act, but these dudes are cool in my book. They even gave us two more free vinyls for coming out to see them. I would also like to add this is the best put together vinyl in my collection. Everything is so well done. From the vinyl itself which is a marble purple color, to the lyrics sheet and even the sleeve for the record is nice... plus it sounds fucking awesome. Can't wait to catch these guys again, if you guys don't get drink tickets, i'l buy ya one.

No comments:

Post a Comment