2/9/11

2011 So Far

I have been doing a lot of traveling this month so that has given me tons of time to listen to new material, but not a lot of time to blog about it. So far I have been listening to Cloud Nothings, Toro Y Moi, Cut Copy, Tennis, James Blake and Smith Westerns. Cut Copy's new album 'Zonoscope' has floored me. This could have staying power like Toro y Moi last year and Beach House. Zonoscope is dancy, catchy, retro, just perfect. I was blown away after my first listen and it has been getting constant play since. I just want to dance every time I put it on.

I also really like the new Smith Westerns LP 'Dye It Blonde'. They really nailed the right tone for that album. Whatever they are using for their electric sound works out perfect for them. They are going to blow up this year. I really enjoy the new Tennis album despite it getting some beatings on the internet. It's a minimalist album...it's just so soothing to me.

Cloud Nothings and Toro y Moi had two of my favorite albums from last year, but I fear they may have hit the sophomore slump. Cloud Nothings album is still good, overall their lyrics are too repetitive. Their new song Should Have does kick major ass though. Toro teased me with two amazing new tracks 'New Beat' and 'Still Sounds' the two videos I posted before this. They are instant pop gems that I can't stop listening to. The only problem is, they are the only two tracks on the album I am completely in love with.

People have some serious hard ons for the James Blake album, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm not deep enough or I need to listen to it a few more times, but I'm not sold on him. There is one song that I really like on it. 'Wilhelms Scream' is a great track. Well I am off to the Dirty D for the weekend, download this playlist! It's what im jammin to.

Best of 2011 Playlist http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LLCO0S6P

1 comment:

  1. I can't agree with you more about James Blake. I don't get it either. Way too depressing for me. I'll be sure to check out these albums though. Thanks bermy!

    ReplyDelete